Circa 1960s. Bossche School high backed chair. Designed by the benedictine monk and architect Dom Hans van der Laan and executed by Jan de Jong in the 1960s – the chair was commissioned for the Willibrordus church in Almelo which despite being one of the best examples of Dutch churches of the modernist era was knocked down in 2005 as part of a series of unfortunate closures. Stained exotic woods with copper nails.
A large Bossche School altar table. Designed by the Dutch Benedictine monk/architect Dom Hans van der Laan. The metal and stone decorative elements across the side were believed to have been designed by the sculptor and silversmith Jan Noyons (1918-1982) who designed and manufactured many alter pieces throughout the Netherlands. The colour palette is believed to have been conceived by Wim van Hooff (1918-2002) who was a painter and colour consultant who developed his own colour theories in addition to making an important contribution to the architecture of the Bossche School.
This rare example of Van der Laan’s designs was part of a collection of furniture came from a post-war church in Amstelveen in The Netherlands.