A large Bossche School alter table. Designed by the Dutch Benedictine monk/architect Dom Hans vd Laan. The metal and stone decorative elements across the side were believed to have been designed by Wim van Hooff (1918-2002) who was a painter and colour consultant who developed his own colour theories in addition to making an important contribution to the architecture of the Bossche School.
This rare example of Van der Laan’s designs was part of a collection of furniture came from a post-war church in Amstelveen in The Netherlands.
Dom Hans van der Laan [Netherlands 1904-1991]
An early example of the furniture designed by the Benedictine monk/architect Dom Hans van der Laan. This oak pew/bench (settle) is believed to have come out of the Sint Stanislas Chapel, built in 1955/56 in the city of Delft in the Netherlands (building by Jan vd Laan, brother of Hans). It would have mostly likely been removed at the time when the chapel was refurbished in the 1980s-90s.
Dom Hans v.d. Laan (Dutch Benedictine Monk and Architect) & Jan de Jong (mid-late c20th)
This chair was part of a collection of furniture that we have acquired that was made for Sint Willibrordus church in Almelo, Netherlands in the 1960s (with full provenance). The church was one of the best examples of modernist churches of the era. Unfortunately it was knocked down in 2005.