A large Bossche School alter table. Designed by the Dutch Benedictine monk/architect Dom Hans vd Laan. The metal and stone decorative elements across the side were believed to have been designed by Wim van Hooff (1918-2002) who was a painter and colour consultant who developed his own colour theories in addition to making an important contribution to the architecture of the Bossche School.
This rare example of Van der Laan’s designs was part of a collection of furniture came from a post-war church in Amstelveen in The Netherlands.
Jan de Jong (Nl, 1917-2001)/ Dom Hans van der Laan (Nl, 1904-1991)
high table (communion table) – Green stained pine wood with nails.
During the reconstruction period after WWII the Dutch architect Jan de Jong and the Dutch Benedictine monk Dom Hans van der Laan collaborated on several architectural projects including the interior furniture. They created an outstanding body of work defining the the style of the Bossche School. Jan de Jong was able to translate many of Dom v.d.Laan’s idealised concepts and ideas into pioneering buildings and spaces. They worked in such close collaboration however that it is difficult to discern the individual level of input into the furniture they designed. The artist Wim van Hoof worked with the two architects proposing different colour schemes for their projects. The original olive green surface visible on these tables derived from one of those schemes.
Dom Hans van der Laan (1904-1991) was a Dutch Benedictine monk and architect. He was a leading figure in the Dutch ‘Bossche School’. His theories on numerical ratios in architecture, in particular regarding the plastic number, were very influential.
Jan de Jong (1917-2001) was a talented craftsman-architect and student of v.d. Laan and it is claimed that in many way he surpassed his mentor.
This table is part of a collection of furniture that we have acquired. They were made for Sint Willibrordus church in Almelo in the 1960s. The church was one of the best examples from that era. Unfortunately it was knocked down in 2005 as part of an on-going series of closures.