Jan den Drijver (Johannes Hendrik Bastiaan den Drijver) Netherlands, 1903-1993.
Important pair of armchairs designed and manufactured during Jan den Drijver’s formative years in The Hague when he established ‘Woningrichting De Stijl’, a showroom and workshop which lasted for only three years between 1933-36. (One chair retains its original paper label).
Beech wood with upholstered seats & back rests.
71cm high x 55cm wide x 55cm deep. Seat height 40cm.
An elegant open fronted console table attributed to Metz & Co. It has visual similarities to the designs of Willem Penaat as well as Gerrit Rietveld and Rietveld Jr. Original lacquer in light grey, creme and red.
Nickel plated steel and plywood chair for EMS Overschie 1930s.
A rare classic modernist chair by this Dutch designer. The seat and back have been refinished to a surface as close as possible to the original. The frame has a warm patina resulting from years of use.
Modernist table designed by Viennese architect Franz Schuster during his time in Frankfurt as part of his Aufbau Möbel Programm (construction furniture range or ‘add-on-furniture’), which was furniture conceived as combination furniture for contemporary social housing.
In the mid-1920s, the Viennese architect and furniture designer Franz Schuster was called to Frankfurt together with other Viennese colleagues, including Margarete Schütte-Lihotzky. There Ernst May valued his expertise in the field of housing development. (Under the direction of Adolf Loos, he contributed to the design of several Vienna single-family housing estates and developed prototypes for residential houses and the so-called residential courtyards that still shape Vienna’s cityscape today). .
In Frankfurt, Schuster designed apartment buildings, schools, cinemas and swimming pools. But mainly he designed functional and space-saving type furniture for the compact housing estates and apartments of New Frankfurt.
Originally designed for Frankfurt settlements, the “add-on furniture” – forerunner of the modern Ikea system – quickly became well known and was sold well beyond the city limits until the 1930s / 65cm x 65cm x 50cm.