Jan de Jong (Nl 1917-2001) / Dom Hans van der Laan (Nl 1904-1991)
During the reconstruction period after WWII the Dutch architect Jan de Jong and the Dutch Benedictine monk Dom Hans van der Laan collaborated on several architectural projects including the interior furniture. They created an outstanding body of work defining the the style of the Bossche School. Jan de Jong was able to translate many of Dom v.d.Laan’s idealised concepts and ideas into pioneering buildings and spaces. They worked in such close collaboration however that it is difficult to discern the individual level of input into the furniture they designed.
This table came from the Paulus church in Dongen built in 1967. When the church closed some of the furniture including this table were used in a Catholic youth club in Breda which was subsequently closed in 2016 (from where we purchased the table) It is structurally sound but as it was used in the youth hostel for years it does show clear signs of age and general wear & tear (mostly to the sides).
Dom Hans van der Laan (1904-1991) was a Dutch Benedictine monk and architect. He was a leading figure in the Dutch ‘Bossche School’.
Jan de Jong (1917-2001) was a talented craftsman-architect and student of v.d. Laan.
Unique bespoke table that was part of the furnishings of the Bethlehem Church built in 1979 in Breda, Netherlands. The church was designed by two Bossche School architects: Hans van der Laan (the nephew of Dom Hans vd Laan) together with the architect Harry van Hal. . Solid merbau wood. 175.5 x 131 x 76cm
A rare Gio Ponti designed brass encased ceramic tile/penholder. Manufactured by Roma Ceramice. In the 1960s a number of these encased tiles were presented to the personnel and dignitaries at the opening ceremony of the new Bijenkorf (beehive) department store building in Eindhoven. The building and its spectacular facade were designed by Italian architect Gio Ponti who designed the buildings extensive facade using multiples of these tiles. The brass casing is inscribed with the details of the presentation.
A mid-century Scandinavian design set by Illmari Tapiovaara for Laukaan Puu, Finland. This classic ‘Pirkka’ set is composed of a large table, a bench and three chairs. Designed in 1955 this set is an early production from around the late 1950s-early 1960s. Each piece carries the makers burnished marks alongside the designer’s name.