Nickel plated steel and plywood chair for EMS Overschie 1930s.
A rare classic modernist chair by this Dutch designer. The seat and back have been refinished to a surface as close as possible to the original. The frame has a warm patina resulting from years of use.
Under the supervision of Benedictine monk/ architect Dom Hans vd Laan, a series of furniture was made by the Dutch company Gorisse in the late 1970s- early 1980s for the purposes of exhibition (catalogue images 1&5). This table and benches (and three stools not shown) were either the pieces shown in the exhibition/catalogue, or they were commissioned from Gorisse at the time. The pieces differ from the normal plank constructions in that they have completely flat, panelled exteriors which gives them a much simpler, pared down aesthetic. . Ref: Exhibition catalogue__Dom Hans van der Laan. Modellen en meubels. Abdij St. Benedictusberg. 1982
EU04 Japanese series sideboard. Made to be freestanding by having a continuous teak structure. The manufacture was therefore more expensive which limited their demand amongst Dutch customers in the 1950s. For that reason very few were produced and sold.
The beauty of these stools is both in their simplicity and their detail; the quality of engineering. (more photos available on request). The retain their original cream coloured cushions that clip onto a series of small holes to the steel seats.
A large Bossche School alter table. Designed by the Dutch Benedictine monk/architect Dom Hans vd Laan. The metal and stone decorative elements across the side were believed to have been designed by Wim van Hooff (1918-2002) who was a painter and colour consultant who developed his own colour theories in addition to making an important contribution to the architecture of the Bossche School.
This rare example of Van der Laan’s designs was part of a collection of furniture came from a post-war church in Amstelveen in The Netherlands.