A very rare piano stool by Dutch architect and interior designer Wim den Boon. This stool was designed as part of a complete interior in the late 50s. The only other one we know of was a white version owned by Den Boon for his own use (documented in the Den Boon archive at the NI in Rotterdam). Full provenance is available.
In 1945 Den Boon founded ‘Groep &’ together with Hein Stolle and Pierre Kleykam’. The group’s ambition was to continue the purist and functionalist prewar ideals and aesthetic into the postwar period, or ‘reconstruction period’ in The Netherlands. Many of the group’s designs can be seen in the Goed Wonen magazine of which Den Boon was the editorial secretary from 1948-1950 and for which he wrote several articles.
Under the supervision of Benedictine monk/ architect Dom Hans vd Laan, a series of furniture was made by the Dutch company Gorisse in the late 1970s- early 1980s for the purposes of exhibition (catalogue images 1&5). This table and benches (and three stools not shown) were either the pieces shown in the exhibition/catalogue, or they were commissioned from Gorisse at the time. The pieces differ from the normal plank constructions in that they have completely flat, panelled exteriors which gives them a much simpler, pared down aesthetic. . Ref: Exhibition catalogue__Dom Hans van der Laan. Modellen en meubels. Abdij St. Benedictusberg. 1982
Rare early Bas Van Pelt design double-sided desk with two chairs
Bas van Pelt began his shop ‘My Home’ in The Hague, Netherlands in 1931 and within a short period the company opened showrooms in other cities such as Maastricht and Amsterdam. The domestic interior design firm focused on producing high-quality modern interior furniture. Eventually right up until into the 1990s Bas van Pelt furniture and fabrics were also sold throughout The Netherlands and beyond by well-known modernist suppliers and manufacturers such as Thonet, D3, LOV and Gispen.
This early Bas van Pelt design desk and two chairs were manufactured in solid oak wood. Each piece has the Maker/designer’s name brandished in the wood.
Rexine over wooden structure with painted steel supports.
This is 1 of 2 Dutch commissioned 1950s wall mounted benches designed by architect Aldo Van Eyck. Some provenance available. The bench is thought to have been designed and made as a private commission in the 1950s for a doctors waiting room..
Aldo van Eyck was an award winning architect from the Netherlands and a member of CIAM. He was one of the most influential protagonists of the Structuralist architectural movement. Van Eyck lectured throughout Europe and northern America propounding the need to reject Functionalism and attacking the lack of originality in most post-war Modernism. Van Eyck’s position as co-editor of the Dutch magazine Forum helped publicise the “Team 10” call for a return to humanism within architectural design.