A mid-century Scandinavian design set by Illmari Tapiovaara for Laukaan Puu, Finland. This classic ‘Pirkka’ set is composed of a large table, a bench and three chairs. Designed in 1955 this set is an early production from around the late 1950s-early 1960s. Each piece carries the makers burnished marks alongside the designer’s name.
A large double sided desk. One side of the desk has a sliding door below a low standing shelf and the other side of the desk has five pull out drawers.
This desk has been attributed to the Belgian designer Oswald Vermaercke in that it has clear similarities to Vermaercke’s ‘Oslo’ desk for V-Form from the same period. It is possibly a variation on the design or is an earlier prototype?
A very rare piano stool by Dutch architect and interior designer Wim den Boon. This stool was designed as part of a complete interior in the late 50s. The only other one we know of was a white version owned by Den Boon for his own use (documented in the Den Boon archive at the NI in Rotterdam). Full provenance is available.
In 1945 Den Boon founded ‘Groep &’ together with Hein Stolle and Pierre Kleykam’. The group’s ambition was to continue the purist and functionalist prewar ideals and aesthetic into the postwar period, or ‘reconstruction period’ in The Netherlands. Many of the group’s designs can be seen in the Goed Wonen magazine of which Den Boon was the editorial secretary from 1948-1950 and for which he wrote several articles.
A large Bossche School altar table. Designed by the Dutch Benedictine monk/architect Dom Hans van der Laan. The metal and stone decorative elements across the side were believed to have been designed by the sculptor and silversmith Jan Noyons (1918-1982) who designed and manufactured many alter pieces throughout the Netherlands. The colour palette is believed to have been conceived by Wim van Hooff (1918-2002) who was a painter and colour consultant who developed his own colour theories in addition to making an important contribution to the architecture of the Bossche School.
This rare example of Van der Laan’s designs was part of a collection of furniture came from a post-war church in Amstelveen in The Netherlands.