Two Mid-century Dutch Abstract Expressionist Bronze Sculptures
Wim Rijvers (Netherlands, 1927-2010)
Two c20th bronze abstract expressionist sculptures by established Dutch/Belgian sculptor Wim Rijvers. One is monogrammed by the artist and dated 1980; the other one is believed to have been made a year earlier in 1979.
_A 1960s-70s low table. The table could be said to have a nautical theme running through it with its shaped ship like form and refracted light between the glass and table. It has visual similarities to Isokon furniture and to that of the Irish designer Max Clendinning from the 1960s.
Painted moulded plywood with ocean glass top. 131.5 x 58 x 32cm.
Under the supervision of Benedictine monk/ architect Dom Hans vd Laan, a series of furniture was made by the Dutch company Gorisse in the late 1970s- early 1980s for the purposes of exhibition (catalogue images 1&5). This table and benches (and three stools not shown) were either the pieces shown in the exhibition/catalogue, or they were commissioned from Gorisse at the time. The pieces differ from the normal plank constructions in that they have completely flat, panelled exteriors which gives them a much simpler, pared down aesthetic. . Ref: Exhibition catalogue__Dom Hans van der Laan. Modellen en meubels. Abdij St. Benedictusberg. 1982
BROOCH WITH SMOKY QUARTZ GEMSTONE. 1970-1974. Brooch made of silver plate with finely engraved net decoration, set with cabochon-shaped smoky quartz gemstone. Artist’s original by most famous Slovak jeweler Anton Cepka. Ag 900/1000. Total weight 140 g, length 11,6 cm, height 4,7 cm.
Compare with: H. W. Drutt English, P. Dormer, Jewelry of our time. Art, ornament and obsession, London 1995, p. 96. – Á. Schrammová: Anton Cepka – šperky a objekty, in: 53. Bulletin of Moravia Gallery in Brno, Brno 1997, p. 208-210.
Dom Hans v.d. Laan (Dutch Benedictine Monk and Architect) & Jan de Jong (mid-late c20th)
This chair was part of a collection of furniture that we have acquired that was made for Sint Willibrordus church in Almelo, Netherlands in the 1960s (with full provenance). The church was one of the best examples of modernist churches of the era. Unfortunately it was knocked down in 2005.
TC2 Floor lamp designed in 1969. White enamelled metal.
This early production lamp was produced by Artimeta Soest, Netherlands in 1972.
Inspired by the Dutch Modernist’s use of minimalist and geometric forms Aldo v.d.Nieuwelaar designed a range of products from furniture to carpet, sculptures and building schemes. From 1968 he designed a series of innovative fluorescent lighting manufactured in white and chromed steel tubes.
This floor lamp was from the TC series that were designed in 1969, originally produced in very small numbers. In 1972 Artimeta took these lamps into production – They produced limited numbers of the design until 1974 when production stopped.
The design includes the transformer in the base that acts as a counter weight. Amazingly they were also designed to be hung on the wall. They have holes underneath that enables them to clip onto the wall of so desired although they work best as minimalist light sculptures and give off a superb even warm light. The top section can be positioned by twisting the stem whilst the base remains fixed.
196 cm high x 73 cm wide x 15 cm deep (diameter of white tube 4cm)